Timeline, Eligibility & Judging Criteria:
- Complete the application by January 18, 2019, for eligibility. Winners will be selected in February and announced in March and April of 2019.
- Five schools from around the United States will be chosen to receive a $4,000 grant.
- Public schools with students enrolled in any grade from Kindergarten through 12th grade are eligible to apply.
Winners will be selected by a judging panel of representatives from USApple, SNA and NASDA based on the following criteria:
- General creativity
- Promotes healthy eating habits in a new context that resonates with students
- Explains plan for sustaining the initiative over multiple years with the allotted budget and existing budget and/or community resources
- Includes the number of students impacted or the number of students depending on school for nutritional assistance
- Identifies research findings that show suggested outcomes for the proposed plan
- Identifies learning outcomes for students that they are not getting from other areas of curriculum, or other learning outcomes this plan would supplement
- Demonstrates regularity or frequency with which students will learn from or benefit from the plan
- Indicates nutrition quality students are likely to derive from this program (fresh produce ranked highest, with processed or less nutrient-dense snacks ranked lowest)
- Demonstrate community involvement that creates long-term viability.
- Explain how initiative leads to a healthier community by promoting healthy food choices inside and outside the school
- Explains how grant dollars will be budgeted
- Explains the implementation plan and identify responsible parties
- Explains program success measurements